Rockland Mansion and Fairmount Park
In 2002 the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia established Rockland as its new home, and with the help of the Fairmount Park Historic Preservation Trust completed its restoration in 2005.
Constructed circa 1810 by prominent Philadelphia merchant George Thomson, Rockland survives today as an outstanding and relatively pristine example of Philadelphia Federal style domestic architecture. Its appearance remains essentially unchanged since its construction.
The building’s fine detailing, including Chinese Chippendale railings, ornamental plaster work, and an elliptical staircase, celebrates this Adamesque Federalist style, as does the neoclassical front portico with tapered columns and double doors beneath an arched semi-elliptical fanlight.
The Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia has taken great pride in restoring this historic mansion for the City of Philadelphia. The Center maintains its administrative offices and carries on its educational and community-related activities at Rockland.